Thursday, May 14, 2009

 

Multiplex Evangelism


I can't say I thought much of the movie version of The Da Vinci Code (I don't think anything of the book, which I have steadfastly failed to read). I won't be shelling out ~ $10 to see Angels & Demons. But how can I not like something that gives The Catholic League and William Donohue such exquisite apoplexy?

This also amuses:

Father James Martin, the culture editor of America, a Jesuit magazine, said Mr. Brown's "theological junk food" often fills the void for those who know little about the Church.

"Nature abhors a vacuum and into that vacuum comes Dan Brown," said Fr. Martin. "Dan Brown always talks about the fruits of his research. And producers talk about the things he has uncovered or unearthed, which gives the air of truth and fact. But when they're confronted they say, 'Of course, everyone knows it's fiction.' That's what angers me the most. They try to play both sides of the street."

He said that at the time of The Da Vinci Code he was getting questions from Catholics, asking why they were never taught that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married.

[Cough] Father, rather than worrying about someone serving up theological junk food, you might want to spend your time pondering why so many members of your own flock fall into the category of "those who know little about the Church."

Just a thought.
.

Comments:
Dave S. said...

I hear if you want a good read in this genre, better to go with Umberto Ecco's The Name of the Rose. I haven't read it myself, but scuttlebut has it as thumbs up.
 
I did read The Name of the Rose many years ago and thought it was good.
 
I like how they complain that one work of fiction is denouncing what 'we' would consider to be -- another work of fiction. It's as if someone were to write a novel which claimed that Aragorn and Gandalf were secret gay lovers. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny -- or the other way around, I'm not sure.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives